With the summer holidays coming up have you as parents agreed with your children ideas about the use of technology.
Why not start with these thoughts:
- Agree positive family rules together with your child.
- Which fun, interesting and engaging activities are they allowed to do online.
- How do adults spend time on devices?
- Can the family agree screen-free times e.g. meal times, walks etc?
- Consider reducing media use before bedtime and overnight.
- Are some areas of the home easier to supervise your child?
- Which online services or apps are your children allowed to use?
- Are they using apps to share real-time videos or images?
- Will the same rules apply when your child is visiting friends or relatives?
- Can older siblings act as good digital role models?
- What advice would they give to their younger brothers and sisters?
- Tell family and friends about your family rules and parental controls.
- Consider the quality of online activities not only the amount of screen time.
- Encourage a mix of online and offline activities.
Write down the answers and use to create a contract for the summer months.